263. The Progression of Reading in Waldorf Homeschooling
Melisa Nielsen at Waldorf Essentials focuses on the progression of reading.
The Waldorf way of reading is much different:
- Letters are introduced in grade 1.
- There are no flash cards. If there are it is more as a piece of art displayed during main lesson.
- When you have an up and coming reader it is important to practice daily.
- A good rule of thumb is 5 minutes multiplied by their age. Cut it off at 60 minutes.
- Melisa highly recommends not taking a giant break like summer break from reading. Even if it's only 5 minutes a day it is helping.
- Kids can get frustrated, parents can get frustrated. Take a deep breath and share that "this can be frustrating, but I believe in you and we can do this."
If you found this content helpful please consider making a donation to our non profit.
Every child should have access to a whole education.
While we work hard to keep our virtual school tuition and curriculum prices affordable, there will always be families that desire this education but can not afford it. It is our deepest desire to help those families.
Auriel's Light is a non profit and all donations are tax deductible.